Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Discriminating taste

I can't recall being directly discriminated against but I can recall feeling like an outsider because of my race. In my previous job there was a lot of diversity. It seemed like folks still grouped outside and to some extent inside of work by race. I had a close friend of mine that was celebrating a promotion so I went to his promotion party. I was one of the few causcasians at the party. I was told I was their "token white-guy". It didn't really offend me but I couldn't help but wonder if the roles had been reversed would another person have taken offense. I find it ironic that we want to take any reference to race as an offense if it is a caucasian saying it. At the same time it is perfectly acceptable for race to be used as an excuse for actions that would be inappropriate otherwise if you are not a caucasian. Ofili is a prime example of this. He puts out an overtly offensive work and calls it art. He even makes attempts to justify this as an exploration of his African heritage. I also find it ironic that he wants total acceptance of his work because he is black stating that his work is about black exploitation. Simultaneously he tries to gain fame through that very same venue thereby being a perpetrator of exploitation himself.

3 comments:

  1. You bring some interesting points about what is and what is not culturally acceptable about race relations. I am curious about the second piece of the prompt, asking you to think about a time when you discriminated against someone. How can you use these experiences in your classroom to guide you as you begin teaching in a very diverse society? I like how you brought in Chris Ofili into the discussion.
    I am glad to see you made many connections to the readings we have had in class. I wonder though when I read this, are you being objective as you look at Ofili's work? Could Ofili's work be ironically and humorously rather than merely offensively?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring up some interesting points, especially the idea that what is or isn't offensive is often linked not to what is being said, but to who is saying it.
    As far as Ofili's work, you read my post and know the questions it brought up for me. As far as seeing it as ironic or humorous, I think those words would be pretty far down on my list of descriptors for his work, as there would be numerous other positive, negative and neutral lenses to view it through before I could really see any true humor in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious where you worked with so much diversity in Iowa.

    People aren't above exploiting themselves, their race, or their identity to make money.

    ReplyDelete