Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

Entry # 1 High School



This is a piece of my artwork. It was an early attempt at oil painting. I chose a pretty common theme, a lighthouse scene, but I am pretty satisfied with the composition and execution. While not a cutting edge art piece it was fun and allowed me to experiment with a monochromatic color scheme in a foreign medium. I think trying to work in new mediums and new techniques is important to keep your students' experience in perspective.

I was not very interested in high school as a student. I am sure I was not alone in that mindset. Art was always a fun class for me but I don't think I was as dedicated to it as I should have been. As an art teacher, it will be up to me to make the class interesting enough to overcome that kind of attitude. While I find the challenge pretty exciting, being that I was interested in art and felt that way makes it a bit daunting to think about keeping the attention and interest of teens that don't care about art.

3 comments:

  1. I like the oil painting you have posted. It conjures a wide range of moods and emotions through your use of a monochromatic color scheme. I find it often very difficult to control my use of color and end up using more of a color range than I had wanted or anticipated, which is frustrating - so I admire your restraint and think it works well.
    I too did not excel as much as I had wanted to in high school art courses, and so can feel for where you are coming from - although I was a "goody-goody" in the other subjects. Holding a classes attention and interest in a subject that is often seen as a "skate" class is also one of my biggest fears and hopes for success in my future art classrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting to remember that not all students are necessarily interested in art; and many take it just because it's fun. I think we need to remember that as art educators, we can't take personal responsibility for creating professional artists out of every student, or have them dream of owning their own studio and showing in galleries, but yet recognize that they think art is fun and run with that. Figure out how to keep art fun for them, to keep it ever present in their lives, and eventually see if it might become part of their career. That's sort of how it worked for me. Enjoying art led to my studies at the university and now i'm one semester from student teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Amazing painting! Really, I love it. It has such a cool aura or mood about it. I want to step inside ;) The color of blue seems really fitting for the theme of a lighthouse-a lighthouse is a marker that tells ships that land is near, warning sailors of the dangers of the rocks while at the same time brining hope and satisfaction that the comforts of cities and land is near. The color of blue, I have read, can stand for depth and stability. A lighthouse brings depth in the aspect of being a warning of imminent danger or death, and the stability of knowing that land and harbor are near.

    ReplyDelete